February 17, 2009

ELI OFFERS TO RESIGN.....


Elizabeth Wong, who has been thrust into controversy following the release of her nude photographs, has offered to resign as Selangor state executive councillor and Bukit Lanjan state assemblyman.

She told a news conference at the PKR headquarters today that she would discuss with Selangor Menteri Besar Tan Sri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim arrangements for the handover of her responsibilities.

Wong, 37, is the state executive councillor in charge of tourism, consumer affairs and environment.

In an emotionally-charged news conference and surrounded by about 30 supporters, Wong said the incident was an underhanded attempt by certain quarters to smear her reputation.

"My personal life and privacy have been violated. These people have conspired to undermine my credibility both as a Selangor state executive council member as well as a Parti Keadilan Rakyat leader," she said.

Wong, who was intermittently wiping her tears throughout the news conference, also maintained that she did not break any law.

"I have done nothing wrong. I wish to state that I am not ashamed of my sexuality as a woman and as a single person. I have broken no law," she said.

"I stand by the fundamental principle in a democracy that everyone has a right to privacy," she added.

Wong said that the decision to offer her resignation as the Selangor executive councillor and state assemblyman was made in the interest of the party.

"Although the smear campaign directed towards me has caused me a lot of anguish, I am aware that the real objective is to discredit Parti Keadilan Rakyat," she claimed.

Wong said she believed that the "attacks" to discredit the party would continue with greater intensity.

"Accordingly, I have decided to make a stand in the interest of the party and its struggle for the people," she said.

Wong lodged a police report at the Damansara police station on Sunday following the circulation of her nude photographs. -- BERNAMA

No comments: